Wednesday, February 27, 2008

We were walking up the hill hoping to catch the meteor shower that night. Our arms were locked and we walked together so that at least a part of us didn't have to endure the cold. Thoughts were running through my head but none of them were being spoken. The dirt road was difficult to walk on because of the frozen tire tracks. My eyes were on my feet and she pushed her body closer to mine.

"You think we'll see anything tonight?"

A thick layer of clouds moved across the sky but patchwork openings littered their canvas. "We might," I said. She tapped the side of my pocket with the arm that was wrapped around my own and I brought my hand out from the warm comfort of my jacket. We held hands as we made it to the top of the hill.

I grabbed a blanket from my backpack and set it on the grass. It rested at the peak of the blades but was depressed once we had decided to make ourselves comfortable. We laid down and watched the clouds pass.

"I wish it wasn't so cloudy."
"Same."

We sat there for some time in silence. The wind was still and I could hear the silent pressure pushing against my ears. I was hoping the entire time that the clouds would move so that I could see the stars.

"So how are your classes going?"
"Pretty well. Yours?"
"Everything is good," she said with half-meaning. "I really hate the 8 A.Ms"
"Those can be brutal."
"They expect us to change our life schedules every four years."
"Yeah."

I was beginning to feel colder now that we weren't moving and I shivered. It was fine though.

"How was your weekend?"
"Good."
"Mine was okay. Mostly got ahead of some work."
"At least you won't be as stressed this week," I said. She rolled over on her side and I could feel her eyes studying me.

"It seems like you're too busy wasting your time by hanging out with people that don't care about you."
"What," I said, pretending that I didn't hear her the first time. "Sorry, I missed what you said."
"Nothing. Nevermind."
"Sorry, I was zoning out," I said.
"It's okay, it was nothing," she said.

The sky was covered with clouds and the air pushed silence over our bodies. The patches disappeared and a filmy gray spread across the sky. "Well, I don't think tonight is our lucky night," she said.

"Neither do I."
"Do you want to go?"
"I guess."
"I love you."
"I love you too," is what I said, but it was different.

No comments: