Thursday, February 28, 2008

Miserere Mei Deus

I was listening to Agnus Dei when I though it would be neat to pick up some more music of that variety. I tend to enjoy literature that explores religion and religious themes and while I don't subscribe to anything in particular, I think religion has produced a lot of worth while things. I got my hands on a song entitled Miserere Mei Deus, which you can listen to here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4xmB1QWYk

The history behind it is pretty fascinating. Apparently it is a vocal rendition of Psalm 51 written by Gregorio Allegri. It had been kept secret for hundreds of years and would only be used on Wednesday and Friday during the Holy Week (Week before Good Friday). Writing it down or performing it anywhere else was forbidden and was punishable by excommunication. Things remained this way until a fourteen year old boy named Mozart traveled to Rome and fell in love with the song one Wednesday morning. Later that afternoon, he sat down to transcribe the entire thing from memory. He was later summoned by the Pope, but instead of being punished, he was praised and eventually the ban on Miserere was lifted.

Any who, that's my nerd moment of the day. It's amazing how much bass is in this song.

2 comments:

J.Q. said...

That music is amazing. Is there a place I can download more of it?

Admin said...

I believe you can find torrents of it, but if you school blocks it, I can send you some interesting stuff in the same vein.